Saturday, November 5, 2011

"When Bright Girls..." (RL15 part two)

     In this essay, Susan Jacoby aims to prove that women are less capable in math and science, because young girls decide for it to be so. Girls are chosing to drop higher level math and science classes, opting to take classes in fields like Art. In result, these girls are limiting themselves form future success when these make slated choices. It is especially unfortunate as girls are only making these kinds of decisions because boys find "brains" unattractive, Jacoby says. To evade this, parents should only tell their daughters "No" when they try to get out of their Algebra and Chemistry classes.

     I do not relate with this essay, nor do I fully agree with Jacoby. Yes, women are statistically less capable in the math and science area. I do not agree, however, that a lot of girls are drop out of those types of classes because of boys. In my high school in Batesville, AR, my Honors Chem class had a ratio of 5:1, girls to boys, and there were just a many girls in my Pre-Calculus and Trigonometry class my Junior year. I, for one, simply do not like math, ever since I got a C in Pre-Cal/Trig and was introduced to The Math Zone. Boys were never an issue.

1 comment:

  1. I too think her argument is flawed because it is not simply (or only) boys that prove to be a problem for girls. It's society in general.

    ReplyDelete