Friday, September 2, 2011

A Beat Education

RL4

1.) Leonard Kress writes about education as if it something that is flawed and insufficient. I think that he implies that children learn much more outside that classroom than they do inside of it.

2.) The larger discussion is education and where is it that students actually learn. Yes, the classroom is the main source of a child's learning, but there are other places where they can learn just as much. Like on a freight train.

3.) When I was about fourteen, I was just flipping mindlessly through the channels on my television. I randomly stopped on AMC to see what a movie titled "JFK" was about. I had always been a American history fan, but I had never really experienced that interest outside school. After watching an hour of this movie, my view on school, government, and my career path were completely different. I realized that the schooling I had already been through had not taught me everything I needed to know; I realized that the American Government can be a corrupt system; I realized that a strong need to become part of that American Government and history had struck inside of me. Now nearly five years later, I am working hard to to make that final realization part of reality.

1 comment:

  1. I definitely agree with your first answer. To expand a little bit, I think that he's also trying to say that "beat education" is "extra learning." You need school, but you also need life experiences. And I really like your personal moment. Coolio.

    ReplyDelete